For centuries, essential oils with strong scents have been used to help treat a variety of ailments, including mental health disorders. Most essential oils can be used in a variety of forms - from teas, to lotions, to sprays. Using essential oils in this way can work for many mental health issues, from anxiety to depression. It’s a great way to avoid using chemicals and worth a try with your doctor’s support.
* Lavender – Feeling stressed out? Take a hot bath with lavender oil in the water or put on lotion infused with lavender. Breathe in the scent deeply to help it work faster.
* Chamomile - If you suffer from insomnia it can affect your mental health all during the day. It’s important to treat this problem of lack of sleep. One way you can do that is to enjoy a nice cup of caffeine-free chamomile tea before bed.
* Peppermint – This essential oil is great in a shampoo if you begin your day with a shower to get your day started. It will energize you and make you feel great.
* Sage – Even science has shown through research that sage can improve the mood of research participants. Try using sage lotions, teas, and topicals to help treat foul moods. You can also use supplements instead of just the scent.
* Jasmine – This essential oil can help reduce heart rate, stress, and even blood pressure. You can inhale it or rub it into the skin (which also is a way to inhale the essential oil) to benefit from its healthful properties.
* Sandalwood – This essential oil is used to treat anxiety, insomnia and even digestive issues. Mix the oil with almond oil and rub into the skin, or sprinkle on a cloth to inhale.
* Ylang Ylang – Comes from the flower cananga odorata, this essential oil has been used for centuries to treat mood disorders. Simply rub the oil on your body and let it absorb to get the full benefits.
* Rosemary – Finding rosemary-infused topical lotions is easy because it is known to help relieve aches and pains, as well as give a boost of energy to help you get your day started.
* Lemon – Bright and fresh-smelling lemon scents can improve your mood by improving your circulation and immunity. Use lemon drops, lemon tea, and lemon soy candles to improve the mood of any room at any time.
Everyone reacts differently to scents so you might need to experiment for the right scent for you to treat the issues that you have identified. Some people feel better when they are energized with scents like lemon and peppermint; others feel better when they use calming scents like lavender or chamomile. Try one scent at a time for a period of at least a week to figure out what works best for you.